[Gdal-dev] gdal for ubuntu

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Mon Jun 12 17:32:22 EDT 2006

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 09:36:17 -0500
Neil Best <nbest at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Hello, everybody.  I have been trying to build gdal from source for my
> ubuntu breezy box and have had some problems building .debs for both
> 1.3.1 and 1.3.2.

If you only want to build debs for seamless install/uninstall/upgrade
on your box, but not for releasing the debs to be used by others, I
recommend checkinstall http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall.

I've been using 1.6.0 on Ubuntu Breezy for about a year now (and on
Mandriva before that) and it works perfect.

If you are going to build any packages --with-prefix=/usr/local (which
is a good idea) please first, before building your first deb, 'sudo
mkdir /usr/local/man' - otherwise checkinstall will fail to include man
pages.

Maciek