[Gdal-dev] how gdal_rasterize works

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 16 15:21:28 EDT 2006

Luke Roth wrote:
> what I'd really like to do is to rasterize
> individual polygons from my C code without having to run
> gdal_rasterize.exe for each individual feature.

Drawing a raster image from Vector data can be a very complex process.
In particular, shape files specify the shapes, but don't specify
anything about how they should be rendered. Once you know how they
should be rendered, rendering them well requires a good rendering library.

There are a lot of tools for rendering maps out there (most using
GDAL!). It's probably better to use one of them. One that does a
particularly impressive job is Mapnik:

http://mapnik.org/

There are lots of others. You could also just draw the stuff yourself,
using the GD lib, or Agg, or .....

I'll bet the MapServer project and/or the Python Cartographic library
has something.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov