[Gdal-dev] how gdal_rasterize works

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Jun 18 13:20:09 EDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a stupid command line question: If a SHAPE is my starting point, how
> to generate the needed raster map for "burn in" (if I don't
> want to launch my GRASS machine for this)?
>
> Certainly easy, but I don't recall...

Markus,

Well, to be honest I don't know an easy way.  I would be tempted to
gdal_translate an input file with the right number of bands, and
use the various options to set the desired region, size in pixels and
lines and coordinate system.

eg.

   gdal_translate in.tif wrk.tif -ot Byte -outsize 1000 1000 \
             -a_ullr -117 33 -116 34 -a_srs WGS84