[Gdal-dev] GDALWARP issues

Todd Fagin tfagin at coordinatesolutions.com
Tue Jun 20 11:45:58 EDT 2006

Greetings GDAL list,

I am quite new to GDAL, so please excuse my general ignorance about all
things GDAL, as well as my frustration with this ongoing problem.

Currently, I am trying to reproject some Mr.SID images from UTM NAD83 to
USGS Albers.  Seems easy enough and it should be.  In fact, I have had a
great deal of success doing it with GDAL.  And that's the problem.
Sometimes it works perfectly, other times not at all.  If things
consistently failed, then I would know that the problem was with me.
However, since it works intermittently, I am completely perplexed.

Below are two examples of what I am trying to do.  In both instances, I have
succeeded before and failed before.  When gdalwarp fails, I get a Widows
error telling me that "gdalwarp.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
close." On that note, I should add, I am running XP pro with all service
packs installed.

Example one-straightforward gdalwarp with no target extent specified:

gdalwarp -s_srs "ESRI::UTM14_83.prj" -t_srs "ESRI::USGSAlbers.prj" -of GTIFF
-co "TFW=YES" "c:\DOQ\36096b12.sid" "c:\DOQ\b12.tif"

Example two-gdalwarp with target extent defined.

gdalwarp -s_srs "ESRI::UTM14_83.prj" -t_srs "ESRI::USGSAlbers.prj" -te
-66701.437329 1536254.54245 -54947.405852 1550909.99892 -of GTIFF -co
"TFW=YES" "c:\UTM\county.sid" "c:\Al_TIFF\quad2.tif"

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

Todd Fagin

Coordinate Solutions, Inc.

501 N.E. 15th St.