[Gdal-dev] Re: SWIG architecture

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Thu Jun 29 20:07:13 EDT 2006

Hi Benjamin,

My understanding is that Frank made the decision to wrap using the C API
and not the C++ API because the C API provides binary compatibility
between releases.  In theory, this means that client applications are
less likely to break when upgrading.

The same arguments have been put forth for the GEOS project, and in that
case I've been migrating the SWIG bindings from the C++ api to the C API.

 From my viewpoint, I don't actually see how the C API provides better
compatibility than the C++ api for the SWIG bindings (note it certainly
does for C or C++ clients compiled against libgdal.so).  The reason I
don't see any benefit is because for the languages I use (Ruby, but also
Python) the host language is not relying on binary compatibility to load
the SWIG built extensions (of course the extensions have to be
recompiled for each new release but then again so does the C API).
Instead, each language has hooks that you call to install new classes or
methods.  Perhaps that is not the case for C# or Java, I haven't tried
so I don't know.

The other argument for using the C API is that it limits what is exposed
to clients, thus giving more freedom for the core of GDAL or GEOS to
evolve over time without breaking clients.

Anyway, hope this helps.  I'm sure someone will chime in if I've missed
some other reason.

Charlie

Anyway,
with the