[Gdal-dev] ogrinfo metadata output

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Mar 3 09:31:38 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 12:34:10PM -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> >>Frank,
> >
> >thanks, summary is back but not the metadata (I did make distclean):
> >
> >ogrinfo /tmp/pollo_pat.shp
> >INFO: Open of `/tmp/pollo_pat.shp'
> >using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.
> >1: pollo_pat (Point)
> >
> >ogrinfo -so /tmp/pollo_pat.shp
> >INFO: Open of `/tmp/pollo_pat.shp'
> >using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.
> >1: pollo_pat (Point)
> >

> >ogrinfo -summary /tmp/pollo_pat.shp
> >INFO: Open of `/tmp/pollo_pat.shp'
> >using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.
> >1: pollo_pat (Point)
> >
> >ls -la /tmp/pollo_pat.prj
> >-rw-------  1 neteler ssi 436 Feb 28 13:27 /tmp/pollo_pat.prj
> >
> >In earlier days (end of last year?) also the projection
> >was shown which is quite important (for me).
>
> Markus,
>
> Did ogrinfo really show details about the layers with specifying
> the layers to report on?  I don't recall that.

Frank,

maybe it never did. But it should (such as gdalinfo).

> I use "ogrinfo -so -al -ro <datasourcename>" when I want a "summary only"
> report of "all layers" in "readonly" mode.

Yes. But it could to so without adding 3 parameters of 3 chars
each :-) Just for user convenience, it's my wish to see the
projection metadata stuff immediately (as gdalinfo nicely
does). Is there a chance for that?

thanks

 Markus
 (sorry for insisting)