[Gdal-dev] Re: [FWTools] GEOS on windows

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Mar 8 17:41:40 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Chris Somerlot wrote:
>
>> Do I understand correctly from this post
>> (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.gdal.devel/5429/match=geos+windows)
>>
>> that GEOS is now being compiled into the windows version of FWTools? I
>> am using FWTools 1.0.0a7 and OGR is throwing the following error when
>> I use the geometry.Distance() funtion from python:
>>
>> ERROR 6: GEOS C API does not include DistanceOp.
>

> Chris,
>
> I believe this occurs because the distance operation is (or at least
> was) not exposed from the GEOS C API.

Hi Guys,

 From about a week, I'm building GEOS 3.0.0 CVS a few times every day.
Recently, I started to build OGR (CVS) with GEOS 3.0.0 so I encountered
a few issues I had to resolve.
The biggest change in GEOS that can be noticed is the reorganization of
namespaces, new namespaces have been added.
So, some classes have moved as well.

Also, strk is working on splitting huge headers with into smaller, to
not to include e.g. geos/geom.h in every file -> this shot cut down
compilation time.

I'm trying to keep GEOS' makefile.vc synchronized with current changes
strk is making. So, generally, makefile.vc is working but there are some
issues possible in next days (e.g. movements in files) ;-)

Those are only a few changes that have taken place.

You can track GEOS progres bugs/fixes here:
http://postgis.refractions.net/bugs/index.php

So, if someone is interested in fixed up-to-date OGR for GEOS 3.0.0,
please give me a not. I can provide version.
I'm not going to commit those changes to GDAL CVS because I'm not sure
if OGR should integrate with GEOS 3.0.0 at this moment.
Or maybe there is dedicated branch of OGR for GEOS 3.0.0.
Frank: Is there any?

BTW, I'm building GEOS/OGR with VC++ 8.0, so I can provide VC++
solution/project files if anyone is interested.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Łoskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net