[Gdal-dev] Crash with Difference function

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 24 10:27:28 EST 2006

Gerretsen, A. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made a tool that uses the OGRGeometry::Difference function to subtract geometries from each other. The geometries
> to subtract are read from shapefiles. On some shapefiles the tool works fine, but on others the Difference function
> crashes (and the tool stops).
>
> Does anybody know on what kind of geometries the Difference function crashes? I have tried to look at the number of
> points, number of interior rings, etc. But I can not find a logic in why some crash, while others work fine. Any
> information on this would be very welcome.

Arno,

Well, of course this function is supposed to be robust.  So if you can
isolate an example that crashes things and submit it via bugzilla I will
try it, and pass it upstream to the GEOS maintainer if I can reproduce it
(and determine it isn't an OGR problem).  In any bug report please include
information on what build (or source) you are using for GDAL/OGR *and*
GEOS.