[Gdal-dev] OGRGeometry::Distance()

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Mar 26 23:13:21 EST 2006

Danilo Sanchi wrote:
> Hi,
> Could you say me if is possible to use the method Distance() of OGR
> geometry class at this moment? How can do to run it?
> I understand that this method use the GEOS library to run, but OGR at
> now do not include the Geos version that implement this functionallity
> correctly.

Danilo,

When GDAL is built against the GEOS C API it does not currently
provide the Distance operation since the original version of the C API
did not include this.

If you are currently using the GEOS C API and would prefer to use the C++
API of GEOS to enable distance support, you can modify the line in the
gdal/GDALmake.opt file that says "HAVE_GEOS = c_api" to read instead
"HAVE_GEOS = yes".  (this is for unix or linux).