[Gdal-dev] FOSS4G 2006 Conference

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 29 12:53:48 EST 2006

Ari Jolma wrote:
> I am going to attend the conference. I am of course interested in a
> GDAL/OGR Swig BoF, or workshop or something that really digs in into the
> matter -- I understand that "workshop" in the announcement means in fact
> something I understand as tutorials, as workshops were in Minneapolis.

Ari,

Right, workshops in foss4g terminology are half day "on the computer"
tutorials.  I did a couple workshops at the Ottawa conference and they
are a huge amount of work to prepare - and those were shorter.  So I'm
leery about trying to do a workshop, and in the context of GDAL/OGR
Also I'm not sure what exactly I would do the workshop on.  Aiming at
internal developers?  Developers using GDAL?  Users using the command
line tools?  Users script via the various scripting interfaces?

I did a presentation last year that was basically hints and tricks for
processing data with the GDAL commandline tools, and that was well
received.  But it would be, I think, a stretch to extend that to a
half day workshop.

> I am also interested in a BoF or something where the topic would be
> using WCS and WFS as a datasource for GDAL and OGR (or developing such
> drivers).

Well, this would certainly be an interesting topic for discussion.  WCS
is rather a natural match for GDAL and I have had a vague intention to
make GDAL able to act as a WCS client for a long time.  But I never had a
compelling enough reason to actually make me do it.  WFS, especially
WFS-T, would be possible with OGR but I think for the time being it
would be better to improve GML support before trying that.  It might
make sense to do it for the simplified GML profile (GML3L0?  GML For Simple
Features?).