[Gdal-dev] FOSS4G 2006 Conference

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 29 14:47:21 EST 2006

Ari Jolma wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam kirjoitti:
>>
>> Right, workshops in foss4g terminology are half day "on the computer"
>> tutorials.  I did a couple workshops at the Ottawa conference and they
>> are a huge amount of work to prepare - and those were shorter.
>
> eh, I'm not sure if my message was clear, I'm not so interested in
> attending a GDAL/OGR FOSS4G workshop; although I might be interested in
> helping with such a workshop in the topic of GDAL/OGR Swig if someone
> wants to suggest such -- I think that would also directly help me in my
> teaching at TKK

Ari,

Well, if you were interested in leading a Geo-perl workshop, I
might be persuaded to assist.  But I'm pretty leery about primary
responsibility.  :-)  It would certainly give me an excuse to get
familiar with perl, my limited perl skills being pretty rusty.

>> Well, this would certainly be an interesting topic for discussion.  WCS
>> is rather a natural match for GDAL and I have had a vague intention to
>> make GDAL able to act as a WCS client for a long time.  But I never had a
>> compelling enough reason to actually make me do it.
>
> If I find money that I can use for this purpose, I could give you the
> reason ;-) BTW, what would be the price tag on something like this?

Well, it depends.  If you had deep pockets and wanted to be sure I did a
good job, I would say $6K+ USD.  But a proof of concept could be done for
$2K USD.

>> WFS, especially
>> WFS-T, would be possible with OGR but I think for the time being it
>> would be better to improve GML support before trying that.  It might
>> make sense to do it for the simplified GML profile (GML3L0?  GML For
>> Simple
>> Features?).
>
> This is a topic that I would be interested in attending a workshop. My
> practical knowledge on WFS or GML is rather slim.

In past years there has been a "setting up OGC services" workshop, I think
oriented to doing so with MapServer mainly.  I don't think there is anything
like an indepth GML workshop on the table.