[Gdal-dev] Identifying spatial data files?

Marc A. Lepage mlepage at pyxisinnovation.com
Wed Mar 29 15:54:18 EST 2006

Is there a program or library which will allow me to identify an
arbitrary file containing spatial data that I might have? Perhaps also
supply some useful info about the file (telling me what’s in it)?

Something similar to Unix “file” command (which uses magic numbers) or
ImageMagick’s “identify” command (for images).