[Gdal-dev] Identifying spatial data files?

Marc A. Lepage mlepage at pyxisinnovation.com
Wed Mar 29 17:24:34 EST 2006

I'm interested in something a bit more general than GDAL.

For example, I want to be able to programmatically examine a file and
then decide which program/library is best to open and read that file's
spatial data (maybe GDAL, maybe something else).

So I want to be able to just quickly inspect a file and say "oh this is
GRD98 so I'll send it off to this GRD98 driver for reading" or "oh this
is a GeoTiff so I'll send it off to GDAL for reading". Then I send it
off to that driver/library for full opening and reading.

I can't just assume the file's type by extension since it can be
ambiguous.

I could write all this identification code myself, but I figure it's
already done by someone.

Are there MIME types for all these various spatial data files?