[Gdal-dev] SetStatePlane newbie question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 31 23:20:09 EST 2006

Mote, Kevin D wrote:

> I'm new to OGR/GDAL. I've been tasked with creating a simple module that
> will transform State Plane coordinates to lat/lon.
>
> This code is my first stab at it:
>
> 	#include <gdal.h>
> 	#include <gdal_priv.h>
> 	#include <ogr_api.h>
> 	#include <ogr_spatialref.h>
>
> 	//Perform our inverse conversion:
> 	OGRSpatialReference sourceSRS;
> 	OGRSpatialReference destinationSRS;
> 	OGRCoordinateTransformation* pTransform;
>
> 	OGRErr err;
> 	err = sourceSRS.SetStatePlane(3102, true);
> Problem: The SetStatePlane() call is returning an error code of 6
> (OGRERR_FAILURE).
> What am I doing wrong? (I'm sure there's a number of things!)

Kevin,

The code looks fine on quick inspection.   I suspect there is a
problem finding the EPSG and other support files.  The GDAL_DATA
environment is normally used to accomplish this and it should
point to the directory containing files like pcs.csv, and
stateplane.csv.

You can also set this within the code itself if you need to.
One way would be the CPLSetConfigOption("GDAL_DATA","/usr/local/share/gdal")
for instance.