[Gdal-dev] Setting deflate compression level

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 1 18:25:21 EDT 2006

Quentin S. wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I wonder if there is a way to set the desired compression level for
> TIFF/Deflate using GDAL utilities. I already tried sending a "--config
> TIFFTAG_ZIPQUALITY 9" to gdal_translate, setting it as an environment
> variable... to no avail.
> Is it currently possible or would it be in a future release ? Any clue ?

Quentin,

I'm willing to add such a creation option but it doesn't exist yet.
Please file a bug request, and I'll return to this after the release.

> Another question about gdal_translate : how does one create "basic"
> Geotiff files with some tifftags (as recognized by libtiff, e.g. Copyright
> Orientation and so on) ?
> It seems using "-co PROFILE=GeoTIFF" prevents any processing of such tags.

Hmm, interesting point, and not the intended effect. PROFILE=GeoTIFF was
intended to prevent the custom GDAL metadata tag, but wasn't intended to
stop the standard TIFF metadata items.  Could you file a bug on this?
I hesitate to fix this before the release.