[Gdal-dev] HDF file support

salah jubeh s_jubeh at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 07:19:12 EDT 2006

Hi guys

  I faced a problem with MapServer , i tried to render HDF images, I compiled Mapserver via GDAL and GDAL via HDF. the HDF files resides on another PC, when i tried to render the images i get this error

    msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'result'.
msDrawRaster(): Image handling error. Unrecognized or unsupported image format
drawEPP(): Image handling error. EPPL7 support is not available.

   I have another copy of the image in tif format so i changed the map file to use the tiff image and the mapserver was able to render the image.

  so i think GDAL CAUSE  this error, also i tried this

C:\tclhttpd\htdocs\apps>gdalinfo \\gislaptop\htdocs\2\data\blue.hdf
ERROR 4: `HDF4_SDS:GDAL_HDF4:"\\gislaptop\htdocs\2\data\blue.hdf":0' does not ex
ist in the file system,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.
  GDALOpen failed - 4
`HDF4_SDS:GDAL_HDF4:"\\gislaptop\htdocs\2\data\blue.hdf":0' does not exist in th
e file system,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.
  Open GDAL Datasets:
  1 N DriverIsNULL 512x512x0
  C:\tclhttpd\htdocs\apps>gdalinfo \\gislaptop\htdocs\2\data\blue.tif
Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Size is 615, 529
Coordinate System is:
PROJCS["IMAGINE GeoTIFF Support
Copyright 1991 - 2001 by ERDAS, Inc. All Rights Reserved
@(#)$RCSfile: egtf.c $ $Revision: 1.10.1.6 $ $Date: 2003/10/17 16:36:51EDT $
Projection Name = Transverse Mercator
Uni",
    GEOGCS["IMAGINE GeoTIFF Support
Copyright 1991 - 2001 by ERDAS, Inc. All Rights Reserved
@(#)$RCSfile: egtf.c $ $Revision: 1.10.1.6 $ $Date: 2003/10/17 16:36:51EDT $
Unable to match Ellipsoid (Datum) to a Ge",
        DATUM["unknown",
            SPHEROID["unnamed",6378137,298.2572220960423]],
        PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
        UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433]],
    PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],
    PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],
    PARAMETER["central_meridian",24],
    PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],
    PARAMETER["false_easting",500000],
    PARAMETER["false_northing",0],
    UNIT["metre",1,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]]]
Origin = (477701.230832,3928005.705781)
Pixel Size = (0.63939193,-0.63939193)
Metadata:
  AREA_OR_POINT=Area
  TIFFTAG_SOFTWARE=IMAGINE TIFF Support
Copyright 1991 - 1999 by ERDAS, Inc. All Rights Reserved
@(#)$RCSfile: etif.c $ $Revision: 1.10.1.9 $ $Date: 2003/11/13 19:25:49EST $
  TIFFTAG_XRESOLUTION=1
  TIFFTAG_YRESOLUTION=1
  TIFFTAG_RESOLUTIONUNIT=1 (unitless)
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (  477701.231, 3928005.706)
Lower Left  (  477701.231, 3927667.467)
Upper Right (  478094.457, 3928005.706)
Lower Right (  478094.457, 3927667.467)
Center      (  477897.844, 3927836.587)
Band 1 Block=615x6 Type=UInt16, ColorInterp=Gray

  but the strange thing is that if the HDF file resides in the same PC i get no error

  thanks in advace