[Gdal-dev] orginfo

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 3 10:46:58 EDT 2006

Christian Wilmes wrote:
>> Hello,
>
> I need it for using the umn-Mapserver with VirtualSpatialData. I found a
> tutorial in the web which is using mySQL. There is written I have to do it
> like that:
> ogrinfo ODBC:user/pass at DSN table

Christian,

OGR supports a variety of file format (and database) drivers, and all
the database drivers have their own particular datasource name format.
The VirtualSpatialData stuff talks primarily (exclusively?) about accessing
non-spatial data through ODBC and using an ovf (or vrt) file to select
columns to turn this into spatial data.

If you are accessing spatial data in PostGIS then you use a different
driver, and skip the virtual part of things.  If you are accessing
non-spatial data in Postgresql then you would follow the examples more
or less, but substitute in the appropriate postgresql connection parameters
in place of the ODBC connection details.