[Gdal-dev] Debian gdal stuck at 1.2.6?

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Thu May 4 08:58:21 EDT 2006

On Wed, 3 May 2006 15:26:14 -1000
"Ben Discoe" <ben at vterrain.org> wrote:

> I have a Debian box (Ubuntu 5.10) and would love to release my
> gdal-depdendent software as a .deb installer, but (as i understand
> it) this in turn requires GDAL to have a current .deb, so that the
> dependencies can be resolved in a package manager.  In the Ubuntu
> package manager, and in the Debian repository pointed to from the
> GDAL site, there is only GDAL version 1.2.6, now more than a year old.
>
> How can this be brought up to the latest GDAL version?  Does it
> require much work from somebody Debian-savvy, or is it easy?

VTP? That'd be great to have it packaged for Debian!

There is Gdal 1.3.1 in Debian testing:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=gdal&searchon=names&subword=1&version=testing&release=all

As to Ubuntu, for incoming Dapper still only 1.2.6 is available. I
can't say if the Debian testing 1.3.1 would work on Ubuntu/other
Debian derivatives. Anybody?

Maciek