[Gdal-dev] RFC 2: Migration to OSGeo Subversion Repository

Andrey Kiselev andrey.kiselev at gmail.com
Thu May 4 13:37:26 EDT 2006

On 5/4/06, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> As part of OSGeo'ification of GDAL/OGR, I was considering a migration
> from cvs.maptools.org to OSGeo.  However, the disruption wasn't very
> appealing without any additional reason to make the move.  However,
> the other thing that has been suggested to me for some time is that
> it is time to migrate to Subversion.  Subversion offers a variety of
> benefits over CVS.
>
>   o Renaming of files and directories is handled gracefully.
>   o More information is stored on the client side, so stuff like getting
>     changes working diffs is instant.
>   o Doing branches is more intuitive (so I might not be afraid to do so).
>
> Howard already did a "test conversion" that demonstrates preserving all the
> history back to 1998 so I am comfortable that we aren't losing much.  The
> main downside from my point of view is that SVN (Subversion) does not support
> the $Log$ style history accumulation in the header. So we will pretty much
> need to strip that all out.   While I like that log history, I can live
> without it.  The move will also inevitably cause some disruption for existing
> committers.

+1

For me this is a good change. I should note that previously I suffered
from the SVN archive corruptions (thanks to Berkley DB or a way it is
used in svn, I can't point the exact source of problems), but
corruptions never were fatal. Also this move should mean that we will
get the Web interface to working tree. For those who use TortoiseCVS
under Windows the move should be transparent: there is TortoiseSVN
clent which works in the same way.

Regards,
Andrey

--