[Gdal-dev] xerces-c

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat May 6 11:46:12 EDT 2006

Chris Calloway wrote:
> What versions of xerces-c are currently supported by gdal?
>
> The news file's last entry (no date) converning xerces was for ogr 1.1.9
> stating support for xerces-c 1.6 through 2.3.
>
> However, the apache.org dist directory only contains the latest version
> 2.7:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/xerces-c/source/
>
> I'm getting the configure error which is documented years ago on this
> list to be a version conflict:
>
> "
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -libxerces-c.so.27
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> configure: error: Please correct Xerces options, or don't enable Xerces.
> "

Chris,

I generally use xerces 2.6 or 2.7 now.  You may need a recent GDAL/OGR
(ie. 1.3.1 or 1.3.2) to work conveniently with recent Xerceses.  There
are a few header file changes in recent history I think.

But the above error sounds more like a shared library path problem,
or some sort of configure problem.  I would suggest checking the actual
link line being used and make sure it makes sense.  Also make sure that
the directory with the xerces libraries is in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
env variable or appropriately configured with ld.conf.