[Gdal-dev] RFC 2: Migration to OSGeo Subversion Repository

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue May 9 15:31:03 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Ironically, hooks scripts is one thing we don't have access with the SVN
> hosted at osgeo.org, on the CollabNet infrastructure.  In order to provide
> service guarantees they don't allow developers to run arbitrary scripts on
> their systems.  This puts us in the ackward situation of possibly avoiding
> their SVN so we can retain a higher level of control and hookability.

Frank,

hook scripts are very useful and they would solve problems pointed out
by Daniel, e.g. with automation of setting properties, etc.

> The other downside of moving to the collabnet hosted svn is that if OSGeo
> does not renew the contract with CollabNet we will need to migrate to
> another
> SVN server (like on outside-collabnet OSGeo systems).  This would likely
> result in another set of userid/login changes which I hate.

Migration repository from on SVN server to another is very easy and
safe, but users issue can be a problem.

> By the way, CollabNet does offer an "svn commit" mailing list, and I have
> already hooked this up to CIA so that we will continue to receive CIA
> notifications in #gdal for svn commits.

Cool! I like CIA spying :)

> On the original question of keyword expansion setting, we may well setup a
> script at some point to reset the keyword expansion properties of all GDAL
> source files periodically.  I would add there is no dramatic problem with
> $Id$ not getting expanded in a few files.

It can be a shell script running manually by someone on his local
copy.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Łoskot