AW: [Gdal-dev] Grid based transformation with ogr2ogr

uwe.schmitz at lverma.nrw.de uwe.schmitz at lverma.nrw.de
Wed May 10 06:22:45 EDT 2006

Hi Frank,

> Uwe,
>
> Unfortunately gdalwarp uses OGC Well Known Text as the
> internal coordinate
> system representation and that does not include any support
> for grid files.
> NAD27/NAD83 grid shift files are handled as a special case.
>
> So the PROJ.4 representation is parsed and converted to WKT, and then
> converted back to PROJ.4 format to do the actual coordinate
> transformation.
> But by then the grid list is lost.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no current way to accomplish what you
> want with
> gdalwarp.  I would encourage you to file a bug report.  I think I may
> make an non-standard extension or two to WKT to allow
> transporting some
> of these values I need for PROJ.4.

ok, I see the problem. I will file a bug report
as soon as I manage to log in (It seems that I've
forgotten my password... and I'm waiting for the
mail to set a new one).

Meanwhile... is it possible to do the datum-shift
with the +towgs84=x,y,z switch, or is it lost in
the same way? And if so, where has +towgs84 to
be placed? In the -s_srs or the -t_srs switch?

Many thanks in advance
Uwe