[Gdal-dev] transparency

ivan marchesini marchesini at unipg.it
Tue May 16 11:03:15 EDT 2006

Hi to all,
I need to solve this problem, please help me..
some people who are really new to gis, and particularly to qgis, must
simply load two 0/1 (white and black) raster maps and print... they
should print a lot of maps using this method...
the problem is that at the boundary between two maps (where there is the
overlay) they have the superimposition of the white border of a map over
the other map... so they obtain a white strip at the junction between
the two maps..
It would be useful if the white pixel became transparent and the black
pixels remained black....
is there a simple way, using gdal to convert the maps before to load
them into qgis, in a way that they will appear (into qgis) black along
the lines of the maps and null (transparent) in the white area???
I think it is something like adding an alpha channel??

maybe it is a stupid question...
 sorry...

thanks

Ivan