[Gdal-dev] Re: 16-bit PCIDSK files of elevation data

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu May 18 17:15:00 EDT 2006

> > When I use PCI's Freeview v10.0 is displays the image in "checkerboard"
> > pattern, usually indicating a confusion about the pixel bit depth.   And
> > right click on the layer in Freeview shows "1 [8U] Image Band 1",
confirming
> > that it wrongly thinks the data is unsigned 8-bits per pixel.
> >
> > Is there some other setting or procedure with GDAL I can use to get
16-bit
> > PCIDSK files?
> > (FYI, I tried adding -co "BANDDESC1=Height", but no improvement in the
> > result).
>
> Brent,
>
> I have reproduced this problem.  I'd appreciate it if you could file a bug
> against GDAL for the issue.
>
> In the meantime, PCI should support TIFF and GeoTIFF well.

Frank,

Bug filed (#1188).

  We're ok for now importing tiffs into PCI.  My goal was to find a
robust/reliable and automatable method to marshal elevation data for PCI s/w
, eliminating as many GUI-based export/import steps as possible (so my first
choice, as usual, is GDAL!).

Thanks!
Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc