[Gdal-dev] AVHRR NOAA level 1b

Juan Carlos Castaneda juan.castaneda at nuigalway.ie
Fri May 19 04:58:50 EDT 2006

Dear list,

I'm trying to use GDAL to geocode AVHRR level 1b images. It's not giving
me good results. I went to the archives and Google to find what's
happening and I read that the algorithm to geocode is not the best for
these type of image. From the documentation:
"that GDAL simple affine georeference model completely unsuitable for
the NOAA data. So you should not rely on it. It is recommended to use
the thin plate spline warper (tps). Automatic image rectification can be
done with ground control points (GCPs) from the input file. NOAA stores
51 GCPs per scanline both in the LAC and GAC datasets."

Any suggestions how to do the "thin plate spline warper (tps)" for these
images? Can it be done with GDAL? I've used gdalwrap -tps but it's not
working neither. I used the GCPs and they don't seem to give accurate
positions on the image. Can anybody give me some advice?

Thank you

Juan C. Castaneda