[Gdal-dev] unable to load proj.4

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 19 10:44:30 EDT 2006

Ellen De Beuckeleer wrote:
> Hi Frank, Didrik,
>
> I added the GDAL_DATA to my environment variables and the "unnamed"
> projection issue is solved ie. I now get:
>
> PROJCS["WGS 84 / UTM zone 11N", GOEGCS[...], SPHEROID["WGS 84", 6378137,
> 298.2572235630016],....]
>
> I left out those things that are the same for what I expected. I have
> however one more difference. What I expected is:
>
> PROJCS["WGS 84 / UTM zone 11N", GOEGCS[...], SPHEROID["WGS 84", 6378137,
> 298.2572235629972],....]
>
> The difference is minimal (last 5 digits), but I wonder why this is.
> Could this be an float/double issue, or a version difference in the
> definition of the spheroid, or ???

Ellen,

The published value for inverse flattening I have for WGS84 from a couple
difference sources (EPSG and PROJ.4) is 298.257223563.  I'm not sure
why the spurious 0016 is being added to the end, but it is presumably
a floating point precision issue for doubles.

Why did you expect 298.2572235629972 as the inverse flattening for WGS84?

> Furthermore, is it possible to include the EPSG support files in the
> gdal .dll file? It would be nice if I could run the program on other
> computers without setting the GDAL_DATA variable manually.

This would be desirable, and I have considered implementing it but never
got around to it.