[Gdal-dev] Ask: the error when I use gdalinfo.exe

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 23 11:08:06 EDT 2006

lky wrote:
> Hi,all:
>
> I use the gdalinfo utility to test opening and reporting of the jdem format as the article "GDAL Driver Implementation tutorial" said. But I met the following error, I don't know why this happen. I hope your help.
> Command line : gdalinfo jdem
> Error info:
> ERROR 4: 'jdem' does not exist in the file system,
> and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.
>
> GDALOpen failed - 4
> 'jdem' does not exist in the file system,
> and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

Kun-Yang Li,

If you want to check if a driver named jdem is registered you can use
the command:

  gdalinfo --format jdem

If you want to try opening a file in jdem format, then provide the name of
the file as the argument to gdalinfo.

eg.
   gdalinfo abc.jdem

I skimmed the tutorial and didn't notice anywhere it suggesting using
"gdalinfo jdem", but if there is a confusing part let me know and I'll
try and improve it.