[Gdal-dev] 64-bit GDAL

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Tue May 23 19:14:23 EDT 2006

FYI, I've just checked in some changes to the windows makefile.vc and
nmake.opt which should allow basic GDAL compilation under 64-bit (x64)
windows with Visual Studio 2005. I haven't tried configuring with
anything other than the basic built-in libraries (which would also have
to be compiled for x64), but the basic stuff seems to work. However, I
did have to disable ODBC support in nmake.opt to get things to work -
this looks like a problem with something assuming that size_t = unsigned
int, which is not true on win64 (size_t = unsigned long long), but I
haven't really looked into it.

To enable a 64-bit compile, make sure you have the 64-bit compilers in
your path and then uncomment the line WIN64=YES in nmake.opt.

I've tested the changes with both 32-bit and 64-bit compilers using
visual studio 2005 and running on windows x64, so let me know if you see
any problems with other platforms (or with those ones, for that matter).

Cheers,

Simon