[Gdal-dev] installing gdal

Christine Spietz spietz at fh-bingen.de
Wed May 24 08:16:37 EDT 2006

Me again,

so finally I did it:

My steps for installing gdal:

1) download gdal1.3.2.tar.gz
2) unzip/untar at /usr/lib/gdal => /usr/lib/gdal/gdal-1.3.2 = GDAL-Home
3) ./configure
4) make
error messages like

>/usr/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libjpg.la: No such file or directory
>libtool: link: '/usr/lib/libjpg.la' is not a valid libtool archive
>make[1]: *** [libgdal.la] Error 1

make sense if you know what actually they mean... (Thanks to Nicol!)
I had to install the missing packages
- libjpeg-devel and
- libpng-devel

curious:
even as I configures --with_jpeg=no I got the error that libjpg.la is not
fount. So it seems taht these two packages are needed anyway to install gdal

regards,

Christine