[Gdal-dev] Google Earth Data retrieval

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu May 25 16:58:41 EDT 2006

Matt Wilkie wrote:
> I have spent some time trying to get a clear answer from Google Earth
>  about what is and what is not acceptable use. Some of those efforts
> are recorded at http://yukongis.ca/bin/view/Main/GoogleEarth
>
> In the context of Nikolai's use case of an application that calls
> Google Earth to show the area of interest, based on my phone
> conversation with on of the GE people I would say that it is
> *probably* okay to do that as long as the copyright and logo of a)
> Google, and b) the data provider(s) remain intact and visible.

Yes, that is trie if you are allowed to use Google Earth as a company.
But, that seems to be not clear that you are allowed.

> Given the difficulty I've had obtaining a clear and written answer
> though I personally would be hesitant to build a commercial
> enterprise on this probability.

Or another way, just build commercial software using GE or data from GE
and then after you'll publish your software, you can be sure Google's
lawyers will knock your doors in 24h :-)))
...and you will know if it's allowed or not :-)

Cheers
--
Mateusz Łoskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net