[Gdal-dev] Deploying with GDAL in Windows

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 30 11:51:11 EDT 2006

Ivan Lucena wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Once you have everything running in your personal computer you probably
> don't need to worry about DLL versions, paths or versions. But does
> anybody has a suggestion of how should we place the DLL in clients
> machine?
>
> #1 - MSVC71, MSVCP71.DLL:
>
> I placed GDAL13.DLL in the same folder as the application executable,
> but when I run it Windows asked me form MSVC71.DLL and MSVCP71.DLL. Is
> there a FLAG in the nmake.opt to build with static MSVC libraries?

Ivan,

I believe if you remove /MD from OPTFLAGS in nmake.opt, GDAL will default
to using static C/C++ libraries.  Keep in mind that this results in a
separate heap for each DLL.

> #2 - GDAL13.DLL:
>
> If I put the GDAL3.Dll in the same folder as the application, it should
> be all right. Adding the folder to the Windows path could make others
> GDAL application to failure, because I am not using this or that library
> or driver. I remember someone suggesting naming it GDAL13_d.DLL to avoid
> conflict.

You can generate the DLL with a distinct name by changing the VERSION
macro in nmake.opt.  For instance, for FWTools I change it to _FW so
I produce a GDAL_FW.DLL that won't get mixed up with other GDAL builds.
I would encourage you to use a version code indicative of your application.
"_D" is likely to be assumed to be a debug build.