[Gdal-dev] NITF JPEG Compression

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 31 23:30:05 EDT 2006

Folks,

I have committed preliminary support to the GDAL NITF driver for JPEG
(C3) compressed images.  This includes "single blocked" (one big tile) and
multi-blocked images.  It only works for 8bit, not 12/16 bit images.  It
does not (as far as I understand it) support lossly compressed jpeg.  The
support is read-only, not for export.

I am interested in reports of problems with the support.

As part of this effort the JPEG driver now supports a "JPEG_SUBFILE" mechanism
where it can be targetted at a particular portion of another file.

I would like to thank Steve Rawlinson and Her Majesty the Queen in right of
Canada (aka the Canadian Department of National Defense) for some of the
code improvements, and ESRI for financial support to complete the work.