[Gdal-dev] RFC 3: GDAL Commiter Guildlines

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Nov 1 11:15:46 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> It was not my intention by the original paragraph to imply that the
> software
> builds at all moments.  That is, I anticipated people commiting the code
> when they are somewhat sure it works, and then promptly testing it on
> other platforms from source control (as the buildbots do).  The point
> being that if they commit something wrong, they should discover this soon
> and have it fixed (say within an hour).  Rather than just waiting till
> other developers update and complain.

That's what I was thinking too and the way all other projects in which
I'm involved work... and this does work very well in practice as long as
committers are reasonably careful about what they do.

> If this aspect was unclear, and the PMC wishes, I can try and clarify this
> in the text as an editorial clarification.

Maybe a clarification would help if we all agree. I would definitely not
object to it even if the RFC has been adopted already.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/