[Gdal-dev] RFC 3: GDAL Commiter Guildlines

Marek Brudka mbrudka at aster.pl
Wed Nov 1 11:57:45 EST 2006

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Marek Brudka wrote:
>>
>> "New features or significant changes to existing source code should
>> be commited to separate private branches. Merging to the main trunk
>> is allowed only after testing them by separate developers on various
>> platforms."
>>

> Ouch... I don't want to imagine what the SVN repository will look like
> in a few years if we keep creating private branches for everything.
> Even just one private branch per committer (and likely per committer
> per software release) is likely to lead to quite a mess.
I could show you such svn repo after 2 years in middle size company and
believe me, nothing special happened there. In general creating
developement branches is recommended practice both in csv and in svn.

> That's assuming I understood Mateusz' explanation right and branching
> indeed means duplicating the whole directory tree on the server.
It's only a logical copy. Files and directories are physically copied on
new commits only.

> Is it really common practive with SVN-based projects to create private
> branches and merge like this?
Yes, it is. Obviosly not for a single line patches, but for more serious
works.
> Is this not abusing the features of the source code management system?
Which features and how?
> Is there a way to physically delete a private branch from the SVN server
AFAIK no.
> and remove any trace from it in order to keep the repository clean?
What for? What does it mean clean?

Marek