[Gdal-dev] RFC 3: GDAL Commiter Guildlines

Alessandro Amici lists at b-open-solutions.it
Thu Nov 2 09:29:38 EST 2006

Daniel,

Alle 14:52, giovedì 2 novembre 2006, Daniel Morissette ha scritto:
> In my ideal world, the CVS/SVN repository would contain only release
> tags and branches, named in a systematic way so that we can easily
> track them, and exceptionally we may create dev branches for major
> feature development outside of the main trunk but that should be the
> exception, not the rule.

i understand your concerns, anyhow svn is much more friendly than cvs
WRT tagging and branching and you have several alternatives to keep
branch-creep under control, for example with svn you can:
 * delete old/stale tags/branches (still keeping the whoole history)
 * group developer tags/branches under some special folder out of the
main 'branches' namespace

i'm not advocating branch-creep, but at least with svn you have a number
of mitigating strategies not available to cvs.

cheers,
Alessandro

--
B-Open Solutions srl - http://www.bopen.it/