[Gdal-dev] geod: azimuth to degrees

Jesse Cleary jcleary at email.unc.edu
Fri Nov 3 19:58:03 EST 2006

Hey Charlton -

I think you've already got what you need?  Geod outputs an azimuth, then
a back azimuth, followed by distance.  The two azimuths are different
(i.e. not complimentary like you might expect) because along a great
circle route the azimuth changes throughout.  So you're given an initial
azimuth beginning the route to Portland (-66d31'50.141", maybe better
expressed as 360 - 66d31'50.141") and then the initial azimuth to begin
a great circle route from Portland back to Boston (75d39'13.083").  At
least that's what makes sense to me...

I've been using the perl Math::Trig module to do something similar and
it works pretty well so far.  Might give geod a try to compare my
results now though...

Jesse