[Gdal-dev] RE: shaded relief utility (DIY)

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Sun Nov 5 15:53:20 EST 2006

Odhiambo,

Probably you are looking for how to compute an estimate of the slope and
aspect, from which you can compute the shading.

Usually a fit of 9-term quadratic polynomial is used. C code for
computing that is for example here:
http://libral.cvs.sourceforge.net/libral/libral/ral_catchment.c?revision=1.29&view=markup
(see lines 94-260) z_factor is for cases when the unit of x and y
differs from the unit of z.

Regards,

Ari Jolma