[Gdal-dev] Motion: Adopt OSGeo Project Sponsorship Program

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Nov 6 15:52:43 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> GDAL/OGR PSC Members,
>
> I hearby motion for the GDAL/OGR Project to join the OSGeo Project
> Sponsorship program described at:
>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Project_Sponsorship
>
> I am attaching the public web page I would publish describing GDAL/OGR
> sponsorship if the motion is adopted.
>
> Voting will be open till 2:00pm EST on Wednesday.

I vote -0.

I am not completely objected to the idea and won't veto it, but I am a
bit worried about the impact that having to manage sponsorship money can
have on the PSC members. I have already explained my point of view on
this whole sponsorship idea on the mapserver-dev list so I won't repeat
it here. The thread can be found in the mapserver-dev archives at:
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Fwd%3A--OSGeo-Discuss--Project-Sponsorship-Proposal-%28call-for-feedback%29-p6104462.html

I realize that the GDAL situation is a bit different since Frank has
been funding people to do maintenance work on GDAL in the past and the
hope is probably that sponsorship money can pay for that kind of support
in the future (which would make complete sense). However, as GDAL grows
from a benevolent-dictatorship to a PSC-driven project the concerns that
I expressed about sponsorship vs MapServer will also apply to GDAL.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/