[Gdal-dev] GeoQuadTree - an open format for storing georeferenced images

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Nov 14 14:29:18 EST 2006

Hi Jordi, geoquadtree sounds interesting. I've been wondering about
something similar myself (as an end user, I can't program my way out of
a wet paper bag) as I've been trying to efficiently use OnEarth imagery
and elevation data over a large area (c.f. earlier msg re how to "for
each poly do X").

My only question at this point, until a binary is available for me to
play with, is how are you retaining georeferencing? PNG does not allow
for it. Does this mean the only way to access the proper position for
any given tile will be through the geoquadtree driver?

While I've long been a png afficionado, for spatial data I much prefer
geotiff because the referencing can never be orphaned by simply
forgetting to copy it along with the image file itself.

cheers,

--
matt wilkie
Geographic Information,