[Gdal-dev] GeoQuadTree - an open format for storinggeoreferencedimages

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Nov 14 15:35:35 EST 2006

Jordi -

You said you wanted to "avoid the use of tile indexes or catalogues of
images", but isn't that exactly what your XML catalogue/index does?  It
seems that the GeoQuadTree format is a different form of that same sort
of structure.  There are several different ways of doing this now,
including the TILEINDEX mechanism, tiled TIFF files, etc.  I'm sure
there are limitations to each, but I'm not sure that yet another tiling
scheme will help.

In particular, PNG is not the best format for all images, and it's
important to support other encoding mechanisms, especially JPEG.
Photographic images are huge when stored in PNG format, and JPEG is
usually a much better choice.  Conversely, scanned line art and
synthetic images generally compress and store better as PNG images.

    - Ed
Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.