[Gdal-dev] gdalinfo on JP2 uses 100% of RAM, then crashes

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Fri Nov 17 13:31:52 EST 2006

Thanks, Frank. I have just installed the ER Mapper ECW SDK; what is that proper configure line to include it?

Something like

--with-ecw (?)
--with-ecw-includes=(?)

Will gdal pick the 'best' driver for importing JP2 files, or do I have to uninstall the jasper libraries then recompile so it only uses the ecw driver?

Thanks,

~ Eric.

Eric,

In my experience the JasPer based driver uses a lot of memory.  It
decompresses
the whole image into memory to access it, but in my experience it
actually
uses on the order of 10x the memory required to hold the *uncompressed*
image during the decoding process.

I would guess your image is non-trivial in size, and that the driver is
running out of memory during decoding.

I would discourage use of the JasPer based driver except for "consumer
sized
images" (ie. from your digital camera) - the task for which the library
was intended.

I would suggest building with the ECW SDK instead for reasonably
efficient
jpeg2000 support that will scale up to very large image sizes.

Best regards,

Frank