[Gdal-dev] GDAL nix build configuration

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Nov 17 21:05:34 EST 2006

On OSX (I assume because of the dylib), it's simple to do without any
patching of the GDAL make setup.  Let it build how it wants to and
install it.  Then postprocess the library with install_name_tool.
Assuming the default /usr/local install (and assuming that the
compatibility problem is really that bad - Frank might know better on
that score), that would be:

install_name_tool -id /usr/local/lib/libgdal.1.X.Y.dylib /usr/local/
lib/libgdal.1.X.Y.dylib

where X and Y are the minor and revision numbers matching what was
installed.

You can change existing programs to match the new name with
install_name_tool.  Like the GDAL tools, since they're built with the
simpler version names.  Use otool first to verify the names:

otool -L /path/to/program

use the libgdal name there in install_name_tool:

install_name_tool -change /existing/libgdal/name /usr/local/lib/
libgdal.1.X.Y.dylib /path/to/program

On Nov 17, 2006, at 6:46 PM, David Friberg wrote:

> I would like to request a change to the rpath (hard-coded library
> search path) used in the shared libraries produced by the GDAL build
> system.  The rpath currently used is problematic for us because it
> contains the major version number, but not the revision number or age
> (e.g. /usr/local/lib/libgdal.1.dylib).  This search path is also
> propagated to every executable and shared library that links to GDAL.
> An incompatible version of GDAL may exist in /usr/local/lib, so the
> dynamic linker will use that if present.  Since we do not want to
> install GDAL to /usr/local/lib, overwriting what's there, our
> executables fail to work due to the incompatible libgdal.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do
if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer,
I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy