[Gdal-dev] GDAL CPLError and C++ Exceptions

Ivan Lucena ILucena at clarku.edu
Tue Nov 28 16:30:48 EST 2006

Matt, Frank,

Your both comments are great, thank.

I understand that try/catch is useless around GDAL API calls. The point
is well taken. But if there is a possibility that somebody could place a
GDALnn.DLL in the system and in that GDALL built there is a custom error
handling that *does* throws exception, then I think that I should keep
my extra-precautious try/catch. Is it possible? And what is worth?

Matt, I didn't mention that but I am developing a wrapper, so in this
case I am expecting that the application developers will take some of
the release-resource responsibility to themselves. But I understand your
point. If I really needed to release any *direct dependent resources*
that should be done before "return E_FAIL". The caller will receive it
as an exception.

Thank you very much that was very helpful.

Ivan