[Gdal-dev] Transparency in 8bit geotiffs with a color table

Ray Gardener rayg at daylongraphics.com
Sun Oct 1 01:27:19 EDT 2006

As far as I understand the TIFF 6 spec:

Set SamplesPerPixel to 2, and BitsPerSample to [8 8], to store 8-bit
pixels with an 8-bit alpha mask.

If you're premultplying alpha into the palette's colors, set
ExtraSamples to 1, otherwise set it to 2.

After writing each pixel's value (the palette index), write its alpha value.

Hope this helps,
Ray