[Gdal-dev] OpenEV/FWTools 1.5 - crash in software rendering mode

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Oct 18 10:26:40 EDT 2006

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>> Frank,
>>
>> OpenEV from FWTools 1.5, on Ubuntu dapper, in software rendering mode,
>> crashes opening any data (tif/png/shapefile I tried) and the following
>> error is printed:
>>
>> /home/shoofi/bin/FWtools/bin/openev: line 25:  9336 Illegal instruction
>>     ${OPENEV_HOME}/bin/python ${OPENEV_HOME}/pymod/openev.py "$@"
>>
>> No crashes in -h(ardware) mode... Only that in -h mode the following
>> warnings are issued, I don't know if that's OK:

> I've not used FWTools on Linux.
> I use OpenEV 1.8 on my Ubuntu Dapper using software rendering
> and hardware acceleration, on following hardware:
>
> mloskot:~$ fglrxinfo
> display: :0.0  screen: 0
> OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
> OpenGL renderer string: MOBILITY/RADEON 9000 DDR Generic
> OpenGL version string: 1.3.1072 (X4.3.0-8.25.18)
>
> and I've not met any problems, no crashes and no Gdk-WARNING
> messages too.
>
> I know this information doesn't help you Maciej,
> but may be it will help OpenEV developers.

Oh, I can see you are using ATI binary driver. I've been using XORG's
free 'radeon' driver, as the ATI one doesn't give me the 3D
acceleration on my X700, despite of no errors or relevant warnings in
the XORG log and the fact, that direct rendering *is* turned on - while
the free 'radeon' does provide a pretty decent 3D accel. Thus using ATI
binary driver is not an option for me, even if that helped with OpenEV.

Best,
Maciek