[Gdal-dev] French translation of the GDAl documentation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Oct 22 18:43:39 EDT 2006

Jacolin Yves wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I begin to translate the gdal doc in french a few monthes ago. I would like to
> know if the licence allow me to do it and if I can use the english files to
> give you my final french translation (if your are interested to) ?

Yves,

There is no explicit license for the web site stuff on the web site, but as
part of the source tree I think of it being under the same MIT/X license as
the source code.   So you can definitely produce translations, etc.

I haven't thought too much about translations.  Andrey has some some
translation for a Russian version of the web site, primarily (as I understand
it) by producing a "ru" version of various gdal/doc files in gdal/doc/ru and
having them references by selecting Russian from the main index page.

I see no problem with using a similar approach for French if you would like.

My initial impression would be that the most useful things to translate would
be the user oriented documentation (describing utilities, etc).  One problem
is that the driver documents - important for users - are distributed all over
the place in the actual driver directories.

The main concern with translations is that it will be hard to keep them up
to date as the English content changes.