[Gdal-dev] Import WorldClim data byte issue

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 25 21:13:34 EDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> hi,
>
> we tried to import the worldclim tile data (generic format BIL)
> from
> http://www.worldclim.org/tiles.php
>
> Unfortunately the result ranges from 0-65535.
> The page http://www.worldclim.org/format.htm describes
> "The data files (.BIL) are sequential binary files in which
>  values are stored line by line from the upper-left to the
>  lower-right corner. Each cell (pixel) is an integer value
>  (2 bytes; -32768..32767).
> "
>
> Do I need postprocessing (such as r.mapcalc in GRASS) to
> read these maps or is there another nice trick?

Markus,

The EHDR (ESRI .HDR labelled BIL) driver now supports a keyword in
the file called PIXELTYPE which can have values like SIGNEDINT,
UNSIGNEDINT or FLOATINGPOINT.  So just add a line like the following in
the .hdr file.

PIXELTYPE SIGNEDINT

Future versions of ArcGIS, and possibly 9.2 should also honour this
keyword.  The capability was included in GDAL 1.3.2.