[Gdal-dev] RFC 3: GDAL Commiter Guildlines

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 27 10:33:45 EDT 2006

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> For some time now, I've been intending to write up guidelines for GDAL/OGR
>> commiters.  I have finally done so:
>>
>>   http://www.gdal.org/rfc3_commiters.html
>>
>> I'd appreciate any feedback, or if there are no objections, statements of
>> support for the proposal.  There is a fairly extensive list of existing
>> commiters.  I presume several of them will not desire to remain commiters
>> since they have not been active for some time.
>
> For me, everything is clear in this RFC.
> I'd only propose to add one statement to the "SVN Commit Practices" section:
>
> - Keep every SVN branch compilable

Mateusz,

I think this is adequately covered by:

<li> When committing new features or significant changes to existing source
code, the committer should take reasonable measures to insure that the source
code continues to build and work on the most commonly supported platforms
(currently Linux and Windows), either by testing on those platforms directly,
running buildbot tests, or by getting help from other developers working on
those platforms. If new files or library dependencies are added, then the
configure.in, Makefile.in, Makefile.vc and related documentations should be
kept up to date.

> Are you going to describe branching policy and guidelines as well?

I was thinking there would be a separate RFC some day addressing how we
handle releases that could talk about release branches and tags in more
detail.  I did mention that new branches should not be created without the
permission of the PSC or a release manager though to be honest the "cost"
of creating a branch in SVN isn't as high as in CVS so we might relax this
at some point.