[Gdal-dev] RFC 3: GDAL Commiter Guildlines

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Oct 30 02:28:38 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> For some time now, I've been intending to write up guidelines for
>>> GDAL/OGR
>>> commiters.  I have finally done so:
>>>
>>>   http://www.gdal.org/rfc3_commiters.html
>>>
>>> I'd appreciate any feedback, or if there are no objections,
>>> statements of
>>> support for the proposal.  There is a fairly extensive list of existing
>>> commiters.  I presume several of them will not desire to remain
>>> commiters
>>> since they have not been active for some time.
>>
>> For me, everything is clear in this RFC.
>> I'd only propose to add one statement to the "SVN Commit Practices"
>> section:
>>
>> - Keep every SVN branch compilable
>
> Mateusz,
>
> I think this is adequately covered by:
>
> <li> When committing new features or significant changes to existing source
> code, the committer should take reasonable measures to insure that the
> source
> code continues to build and work on the most commonly supported platforms
> (currently Linux and Windows), either by testing on those platforms
> directly,
> running buildbot tests, or by getting help from other developers working on
> those platforms. If new files or library dependencies are added, then the
> configure.in, Makefile.in, Makefile.vc and related documentations should be
> kept up to date.

Frank,

You're absolutely right. I've missed this point in some way.

>> Are you going to describe branching policy and guidelines as well?
>
> I was thinking there would be a separate RFC some day addressing how we
> handle releases that could talk about release branches and tags in more
> detail.

I understand it, but my question about branching policy was more about
describing how branches work in GDAL project to help committers to
understand it in range they are supposed to understand it.
I mean, to help to not to break anything ;-)

> I did mention that new branches should not be created without the
> permission of the PSC or a release manager though to be honest
> the "cost" of creating a branch in SVN isn't as high as in CVS
> so we might relax this at some point.

I think it's worth to discuss it in future.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net