[Gdal-dev] gdal_merge.py failed for ENVI format

Nicolas Ribot nicky666 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 13:53:35 EST 2006

Hi all
(I'm glad to join the list for the first time)

I tried to merge several TIF files (representing Canada, in WGS84).
These files represent about 6 Gb of data, so I chose the ENVI file
type, to circumvent the 4 Gb limit of tiff files.

When I launch the command (see at the end of this message), it stops
immediatly, generating a header that look correct:

ENVI
samples = 86403
lines   = 38253
bands   = 3
header offset = 0
file type = ENVI Standard
data type = 1
interleave = bsq
byte order = 0
band names = {
Band 1,
Band 2,
Band 3}

but the data themselves are an only 2-bytes file.
I can't understand why it does not generate the right file (about 6Gb)

I'm using FWTools-1.0.7 on Ubuntu (intel 32 bits)
Data are on a USB disk, formatted in ext2.
I moved the data from a fat32 partition to a NTFS one, then format the
partition in ext2, and moved data back on this partition.
Can this be the reason of the failure ?

Thank you
Nicolas

Command line:
 gdal_merge.py -o /media/usbdisk/win_data/canada_wgs84 -of ENVI
/media/usbdisk/win_data/N40.tif /media/usbdisk/win_data/N45.tif
/media/usbdisk/win_data/N50.tif /media/usbdisk/win_data/N55.tif
/media/usbdisk/win_data/N60.tif /media/usbdisk/win_data/N65.tif
/media/usbdisk/win_data/N70.tif /media/usbdisk/win_data/N75.tif
/media/usbdisk/win_data/N80.tif